Now that Christmas is around the corner, it’s time to start preparing for all the family reunions. Family is such an important part of this season, and I like to prepare a lot of the recipes my mom and grandma used to prepare when I was s child. Today, I invite you to enjoy this delicious and easy recipe for Mexican Buñuelos. Each Latin American country has their own version of this recipe. However, today I’m going to share with you what could be described as a sweet, crisp tortillas. Perfect for Christmas! I hope you enjoy!
Mexican Buñuelos Recipe:
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tblsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp vegetable oil or melted butter at room temperature
To sprinkle on buñuelos:
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp sugar
- In one bowl, mix 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of sugar, ½ tsp of salt. Combine.
- In the same bowl, create a space in the middle of the mix and add 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of sugar, oil, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and mix with your hands until dough is thick and moldable. If the dough is not firm and moldable, add ¼ cup of warm water while mixing.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel for about 20 to 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, roll dough into little balls, about 5 inches in diameter.
- Put some flour on a hard surface and, with a rolling pin begin to roll out the balls into circular shapes.
- Heat up approximately 1 cup of oil in a frying pan at 350 degrees. Fry each circle of dough for about 15 seconds on each side or until golden brown, flipping them over once. Remove from frying pan and cool off on a paper towel.
- You can serve your buñuelos with whipped cream.
Mmm! So delicious and super simple. This will fill your home with childhood memories but the best part is that everyone will love them! I invite you to try this recipe with your children a enjoy time with them. Don’t forget, Big Lots has everything you need for your holiday celebration!