August is such an odd month – it still feels like summer, yet school is in session. These end of summer crazy shakes are a way to combine the best of both worlds. And Big Lots has everything you need!
These crazy shakes – also known as “freak shakes” and super fun to concoct with the kids. You can mix and match a variety of ice cream treats and artfully layer them in a cup, mug, or glass. You can leave them as it is or blend the ice cream for a base to make a shake.
Perfect to share, or you can make mini versions for each person. Now this is a way to give summer a proper farewell, and makes homework a little more tolerable!
Visit the frozen section of any Big Lots store to pick up individually wrapped ice cream bars, a pint of ice cream, cookies, and whatever other treats you want to add to your shake.
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Shake straws (found at Big Lots too!)
Scoop the pint of ice cream into a blender and mix until smooth. Pour into the cup or glass. Add a drizzle of syrup around the edge of the glass so it runs down.
Then cut up the ice cream bars, cookies and treats and artfully layer them in the jar. Add the straw, whipped cream and sprinkles!
- Have your kids invent a fun name to go with their shake, that way you can make it again another time!
- Create your own menu, for example, create one that is all strawberry-based, another chocolate and so on.
- Set up a Crazy Shake Do-It-Yourself area so your family or party guests can make their own version.
- Make it an annual tradition to celebrate the end of summer on a sweet note!